Food : a reader for writers / Danielle Aquiline, Columbia College Chicago ; Deborah Holdstein, Oakton Community College.Material type: TextPublisher: New York : Oxford University Press, Description: xxvii, 477 pages : illustrations ; 21 cmContent type:
- 9780199385683 (paperback)
- 0199385688 (paperback)
- 9780199385690 (instructor's edition)
- 0199385696 (instructor's edition)
- 808.8/03559 23
- PN6071.F6 F55 2015
- JNF029010 | LAN012000 | LAN005000
|Item type||Current library||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|Book||Karen H. Huntsman Library Main Book Collection - Second Level||808.803559 H713f||Available||38060007454531|
Includes bibliographical references (pages 471-474) and index.
1. Food as Memory and Identity -- The gastronomical me, an excerpt / M.F.K. Fisher -- Four menus / Sheila Squillante -- What was served / Douglas Bauer -- The God of small feasts / Shoba Narayan -- Home run : my journey back to Korean food / Roy Ahn -- Tasteless / David Sedaris -- 2. Food and Environment -- The pleasures of eating / Wendell Berry -- Seafarming at the end of the world / Peter Meehan -- Sowing dissent / Joel Salatin (interview withTracy Frisch) -- The meaning of local / Todd Kliman -- 2000+ reasons why GMOs are safe to eat and environmentally sustainable / Jon Entine and JoAnna Wendel -- The threats from genetically modified foods / Robin Mather -- On killing / Hank Shaw -- 3. The Politics of Food -- Considering the lobster / David Foster Wallace -- Can't stomach it : how Michael Pollan et al. made me want to eat Cheetos / Julie Guthman -- Suckin' the chicken bone dry : African American women, history, and food culture / Psyche Williams-Forson -- The Rise of yuppie coffees and the reimagination of class in the United States / William Roseberry -- Men eat meat, Women eat chocolate : how food gets gendered / Riddhi Shah -- The moral crusade against foodies / B. R. Myers -- 4. Food and Health -- Don't blame the eater / David Zinczenko -- Our national eating disorder / Michael Pollan -- The food desert / Jennifer Wehunt -- The disappearance of hunger in America / Patricia Allen -- How to address obesity in a fat-phobic society / Courtney E. Martin -- Snacks for a fat planet / John Seabrook -- School food, public policy, and strategies for change / Marion Nestle -- 5. Food and American Culture -- Good food everywhere / Brett Martin -- A Native American Thanksgiving / Beverly Cox and Clara Sue Kidwell -- We got our way of cooking things : women, food, and preservation of cultural identity among the Gullah / Josephine Beoku-Betts -- A confederacy of sauces / Jack Hitt -- There's no such thing as too much barbecue / Jason Sheehan -- Montgomery officials try eating for $5 a day / Bill Turque -- Lawmakers' headline-grabbing food stamp diet / Jim Geraghty -- 6. Food Travel and Worldviews -- Let's eat Chinese! Reflections on cultural food colonialism / Lisa Heldke -- Daily bread / Pico Iyer -- The rooster's head in the soup / Tim Cahill -- Everything comes from the sea / Coleman Andrews -- Dead heads / Anthony Bourdain -- Hungry planet : what the world eats / Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio -- The food at our feet / Jane Kramer -- "The last days of the Czars," from Mastering the art of Soviet cooking / Anya Von Bremzen -- Appendix A: Epilogue: Cooking and culture -- Appendix B: Researching and writing about food / Barbara Rockenbach and Aaron Ritzenberg.
"Food: A Reader for Writers is focused on the engaging theme of food and culture, including an interdisciplinary mix of pieces written in differing rhetorical styles and genres, and each chapter of the book will be punctuated by a recipe, poem, a blog excerpt, photograph, and/or vintage advertisement, providing both attractive and highly useful, additional pedagogical and learning opportunities. Developed for the first-year composition market, this reader will also provide students with the rhetorical knowledge and compositional skills to participate in the public conversations about human health, the environment, culture, travel, and politics"--
There are no comments on this title.